Skip to Content

Is My Monstera Poisoning My Pooch? The Toxic Truth Dog Owners Must Know

Is My Monstera Poisoning My Pooch? The Toxic Truth Dog Owners Must Know

Share this post:

Disclaimer: Some links found on this page might be affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I might earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

As a dog owner and lover, you’re probably wondering about how your furry baby will react to your indoor plants.

Dogs are naturally curious, and without you noticing it, your puppy might start eating some of the leaves of your beloved plants.

So, are monsteras toxic to dogs? What should you do if your dog eats some monstera leaves?

This article will answer all your questions, so let’s dive in.

Are Monsteras Toxic to Dogs?

Monsteras are quite attractive and popular as indoor plants because they’re more resilient than other plant varieties.

The holes you see on the monsteras actually serve a function, as they let the air and rain pass through, making the plant more adaptable.

Yet, you might not be the only one fascinated by monsteras. Since dogs are omnivores, they might be tempted to chew on the leaves of your beautiful monstera.

Unfortunately, all parts of this amazing plant are toxic to dogs. Yet, they’re not lethal.

So, your dog will be sick only if it eats large quantities of monstera leaves. Nevertheless, the plant can cause irritation and discomfort.

Why Is Monstera Toxic to Dogs?

Monstera’s sap contains calcium oxalate crystals. These crystals help regulate the plant’s calcium levels and protect it from attacks, as animals avoid eating it.

These useful compounds are harmful to dogs, cats, and children. Yet, if your dog eats some leaves, it won’t die.

Instead, it will experience some uncomfortable symptoms. The crystals have sharp edges, so they will cause irritation once your pooch swallows them.

As your dog chews on them, it will also start experiencing some minor cuts on the mouth’s lining, tongue, and digestive tract.

Even touching the leaves can cause irritation because the crystals can damage the delicate skin.

As a matter of fact, this is why these crystals protect the plant.

Animals can eat different plants, but they will avoid monsteras in their natural habitat. So this will allow these plants to thrive without being eaten by herbivorous animals.

Which Parts of Monsteras Are Harmful?

As you grow this beautiful plant in your house, you might wonder about the parts you should keep away from your dog.

All parts of the monstera plants are toxic to dogs because they contain these crystals.

The stem contains crystal-rich sap, so if you plan to cut your monstera plant, prune it, or trim it, you should wear gloves and ensure that the sap doesn’t get in touch with your skin.

The leaves contain a large amount of these crystals because animals might feed on these leaves. So, the crystals will prevent animals from ruining the foliage.

The plant’s roots also contain these crystals, so you should wear gloves while dividing or repotting this beautiful plant.

Surprisingly, the ripe fruit of the monstera isn’t toxic. As a matter of fact, it’s edible.

Yet, if you or your dog eat the unripe fruit, it will be as irritating as the rest of this plant.

What Happens When My Dog Eats Monstera Leaves?

If your dog eats some monstera leaves, don’t panic. Your beloved pooch won’t die but will experience some annoying symptoms.

  • Your dog might start drooling because of the irritation caused by the calcium oxalate crystals.
  • The dog’s tongue, lips, and whole mouth might start swelling.
  • If your dog has eaten a lot of leaves, it might experience some difficulty swallowing.
  • You might see your dog licking its paws because the crystals hurt its sensitive skin.
  • Because of the difficulty swallowing, your dog might lose its appetite and stop eating.
  • Your pooch might start vomiting.
  • You might see your dog gasping for air and facing difficulty swallowing.

Most symptoms aren’t that serious, but if you see your dog vomiting or struggling to breathe, it probably ate a lot of monstera leaves.

What Should You Do if Your Dog Eats Monstera Leaves?

You might catch your beloved dog red-handed eating the monstera leaves. In this case, you should rinse its mouth and paws to wash away the sharp calcium oxalate crystals.

However, if your dog consumes a large amount of these leaves, or you’re not sure how many leaves it ate, you need to take it to the vet.

Eating a lot of monstera leaves will make your dog sick and might even kill a small puppy.

So, it’s best to take your dog to the vet just in case.

Can You Prevent Your Dog From Eating Monstera?

It’s normal to feel worried that your dog might eat the leaves of your monstera. Yet, there are a few things you can do to protect it.


The key to teaching your dog anything is to train it. Patience and consistency are essential when you want to keep your dog away from your monstera.

Every time your dog approaches the monstera, you can call it and reward it. This will help it understand that it should stay away from the plant.

You can give your curious dog a treat, take it for a walk, or reward it with a short playing session. This way, it will associate staying away from the plant with a positive reaction.


Your dog will approach the monstera plant when it’s bored and has nothing to do. As long as you provide it with fun toys and activities, it will be too occupied to eat the monstera.

Ensure your dog has access to chew toys, puzzles, and treats, as this will keep it busy.

Going for walks and giving your dog enough exercise will stimulate it.

Moreover, problem-solving puzzles and toys will give your dog the needed mental stimulation.


This is an excellent trick for keeping your monstera plant away from your dog.

So, you can place the plant pot in a room that your dog won’t get into.

If you have a small monstera, you can keep it in a small container on a shelf. You can also grow it in a hanging basket.


Some scents can be too repulsive to dogs, although they’re fine and can even be appealing to humans.

Dogs hate the smell of citrus fruits, so spraying your plant with some natural lemon spray or spraying the soil with some lemon essential oil will keep your dog away from the monstera.

You can also stick some lime, lemon, or orange peel in the soil, and your dog will avoid this plant.

Some homeowners also like to spray their plants with vinegar. This smell is too strong, and dogs don’t like it.

However, most homeowners hate this scent as well because it’s not appealing.

Final Thoughts

Monstera plants are attractive, but they’re unsafe for your dog. So, if your dog starts eating the leaves of a monstera plant, it will start experiencing some uncomfortable symptoms.

This includes drooling, vomiting, and swelling of the mouth.

Luckily, eating the leaves of a monstera plant won’t kill your dog unless it eats a lot of leaves. Yet, if you have a small dog, it will experience worse symptoms.

So, if you think your dog ate some monstera leaves, you should take it to a vet. You can also train your dog to avoid the plant or place it out of reach.

Share this post: