Skip to Content

Is the Philodendron Plant Toxic to Humans?

Is the Philodendron Plant Toxic to Humans?

Share this post:

Disclaimer: Some links found on this page might be affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, I might earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Buying a philodendron for your home probably seems like a good idea. These houseplants are pretty, and they have a reputation for being easy to care for.

Beginners have a good time caring for these plants. They’re hardy enough that you’re unlikely to kill them when making a few mistakes.

Even if they are beginner-friendly houseplants, there are other things to consider before buying them. You might have heard that these plants aren’t safe.

Some types of plants are toxic and will make people sick when they consume them. Others are going to cause rashes when you come into contact with them.

Is the philodendron plant toxic to humans? Continue reading to get all of the important details.

How Toxic is a Philodendron?

You’ll find that philodendrons are very toxic. These plants contain calcium oxalate crystals.

If you chew or eat any part of this plant you’ll regret it. When you try to eat philodendrons you’ll experience a burning sensation, pain, swelling, and many other problems.

Typically, when you eat portions of a philodendron you’ll experience stomach irritation, diarrhea, and other such gastrointestinal issues.

So it’s imperative to keep the toxicity of this plant in mind. Eating the plant, chewing on the plant, or putting any part of the plant near your mouth is a terrible idea.

These plants are toxic enough that you’ll want to keep them away from children. Make sure that your philodendrons are somewhere safe where no children or pets can reach them.

Can a Philodendron Cause a Rash?

Yes, it is indeed possible that touching a philodendron could cause a rash to appear on your skin. Exposure to philodendrons will cause skin irritation.

Sometimes the skin irritation is mild and will only cause itching. It’s possible that it could cause a rash, though.

Certain individuals might have a more extreme reaction than others. Also, some philodendrons are more toxic than others.

Many popular philodendron types are safe enough to handle briefly. You simply must wash your hands after you’re finished doing what you need to do.

Of course, it’s safest to use gardening gloves whenever you’re handling a philodendron. It keeps your skin from coming into contact with the plant.

You want to avoid problems related to skin exposure. Some people might experience rashes, swelling, and redness.

If you touch the plant and then rub your eyes it can be dangerous. This can cause eye irritation and pain.

Touching the sap is known to be problematic as well. If you touch the sap and then rub your eyes it could cause eye injuries such as corneal abrasions.

Can They Cause Allergies?

Exposure to philodendrons can cause allergic reactions in some people. Studies have shown that patients can have allergic reactions when their skin comes into contact with philodendrons.

That being said, you should know that it’s rare for people to be allergic to philodendrons. If you’re thinking of typical allergic responses such as sneezing, you don’t have to worry about that with philodendrons.

What Happens When Someone Eats Philodendron Leaves?

If you eat portions of a philodendron plant, you’ll experience immediate pain. It doesn’t take long at all for you to realize how toxic the plant is.

Commonly, people who eat philodendron leaves experience extreme burning of the mouth. Your mouth will burn, and your lips will swell.

It’s very likely that your tongue and your throat will swell, too. Sometimes the swelling is so severe that it’ll cause people to salivate excessively.

If things are going very bad, you might have a hard time breathing and swallowing. It’s normal for people to have a tough time speaking while they’re experiencing these symptoms.

Should you manage to ingest portions of the plant, it’ll lead to stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and other such symptoms. So it’s important to never eat any part of a philodendron plant.

Are Philodendrons Dangerous for Pets?

Those who have pets might be worried about keeping philodendrons in their homes. Since these plants are toxic, they’re going to be dangerous for pets.

If a cat or a dog eats any part of this plant, it’ll get very sick. Cats and dogs will experience the same burning pain and swelling that occurs when humans try to eat philodendrons.

Sometimes cats and dogs make dumb decisions and choose to nibble on things that they shouldn’t. Normally, your pet would immediately regret trying to eat portions of this plant due to its toxicity.

The pain that the pets would experience would be almost immediate. So it’s unlikely that a pet would consume too much of the plant.

Any portion of the plant that does get ingested will cause stomach pain and digestive problems. You might see your cat or dog vomit, and it might experience issues with diarrhea.

It’s best to keep your pets away from these plants. You don’t want to keep the plants down where the pets can easily reach them.

Note that these plants are dangerous for other less common pets as well. They can be harmful to rabbits and other small animals that you might keep as pets.

Take this seriously, and be sure to protect both your pets and the plants. Even if the plants weren’t toxic, you shouldn’t want them to be gobbled up by your pets.

Some Philodendrons Are More Toxic Than Others

Another thing to keep in mind about these plants is that they’re not all the same. There are many different varieties of philodendrons that you can purchase.

Some of them are going to be more toxic than others. Certain plants might have mild toxicity, while others will be more severe.

You should look up specific information about the type of philodendron that you plan to buy. Most of the common philodendron varieties that people keep as houseplants are toxic enough that you should be careful.

This doesn’t mean that you need to fear the plant, though. It isn’t dangerous to keep as a houseplant so long as you care for it properly.

It’s simply about keeping the plant in a spot where pets and children won’t mess with it. Also, you need to know to be careful about handling it too much without gloves.

If you keep these things in mind, it won’t be a problem at all. You’ll have a lovely time owning philodendrons.

Are Philodendrons Hardy?

You’ll find that philodendrons are extremely hardy plants. Don’t avoid philodendrons due to their toxicity.

If you’re new to caring for houseplants, you’ll truly enjoy caring for philodendrons. These are versatile plants that can be used in many situations.

They look great, and they’re not hard to care for. People can enjoy owning philodendrons even if they aren’t used to caring for houseplants yet.

So many people buy these plants as beginner-friendly houseplants. Give them a shot while keeping the information above in mind.

It’ll allow you to make good decisions so you can keep yourself, your family, and your pets safe. Doing so isn’t hard, but you do need to be mindful of the choices that you make.

Final Thoughts

Learning more about philodendrons should help you quite a bit. Now you know that these plants are toxic.

These are toxic plants that you shouldn’t try to eat or chew on. Doing so will cause burning, pain, swelling, and stomach issues.

It’s dangerous for pets to eat these plants as well. So you want to keep your philodendrons away from pets.

Do your best to make good choices so you won’t have anything to worry about. You know what to do now and should be able to enjoy keeping these plants in your home without it being a big deal.

These plants are great for beginners, and they look great in so many different situations. You’ll love having them in your office, living room, and many other parts of your home.

Be sure to let friends and family know about what you learned. This should help them to be careful about what they do with their philodendrons as well.

Share this post: